Hardcover Picture Book
Published by Albert Whitman & Company
Illustrated by Nicole Tadgell
Tiara has a gift for storytelling; her momma has a gift for making hats. When a new store opens that sells cheaper hats, Momma has to set her dreams aside, but Tiara has an idea for helping Momma's dreams come true again.
More about Tiara's Hat Parade . . .
- Join our virtual hat parade. We can't get together face to face, but that doesn't mean we can't celebrate. Post a picture of you wearing a hat on FaceBook or Twitter using #TiarasHatParade. Thanks for being part of our celebration. Like the Tiara's Hat Parade FB page here.
- Tiara's Hat Parade is dedicated to Black milliners (hat makers) and the kids they dazzle and inspire. At the end of the book, I pay tribute to three famous Black milliners. Learn more about them here: Vanilla Beane, Mae Reeves and Mildred Blount
- Quote from Jeni Hansen grand-daughter of Vanilla Beane: "To me, Vanilla Beane is Black history. She has written my history, our history, Black history, by perseverance. When I think about the mountains I've climbed, nothing I have hurdled compares to what she has come through. The world in the last century -- just wow! For all the things she couldn't do or be . . . I look with the deepest gratitude at how far she has come, just for me."
- "A delightful, multigenerational celebration of hats, family and community, with bold, bright illustrations parading across each page." - James E. Ransome, award-winning illustrator whose books include Aunt Flossie's Hats (and Crab Cakes Later)
- "Kelly Starling Lyons masterfully weaves the language of joy, pride and family love." - Jaki Shelton Green, Poet Laureate of North Carolina
Just 4 Kids